Professor of Structural Engineering
Department of Structural Engineering
Jacobs School of Engineering
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0085
La Jolla, CA 92093-0085
(858) 822-1458 Fax: (858) 534-6373
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Center for Non-destructive Evaluation, Materials Science and Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University (1998-1999)
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Palermo, Italy (1997)
- M.S. and Fulbright Scholar, Engineering Mechanics, Michigan State University (1996)
- Laurea (M.S.), Summa cum Laude, Mechanical Engineering, University of Palermo, Italy (1993)
- Non-destructive evaluation (NDE) and Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)
- Experimental Mechanics
- Material Characterization and Structural Testing
- Linear and Nonlinear Wave Propagation
- Ultrasonic Testing and Ultrasonic Imaging
- Acoustic Emission Testing
- Infrared Thermography
- Laser Metrology, Strain Measurements
- Digital signal processing, Data Analysis
- Recent applications to railroad tracks, prestressed concrete bridges, composite aerospace structures, wind turbines blades, biological materials
Courses Typically Taught:
- Smart Structures (SE87) – undergraduate seminar
- Solid Mechanics I (SE110A) and Solid Mechanics II (SE110B) – undergraduate
- Non-Destructive Evaluation (SE163) – undergraduate
- Experimental Mechanics and NDE (SE252)- graduate
Honors and Awards:
- Elected Fellow of the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) for “contributions to the fields of non-destructive evaluation and structural health monitoring, particularly ultrasonic testing, acoustic emission testing and infrared thermography for quantitative damage detection” (2018).
- Elected Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America “for contributions to the theory and applications of ultrasonic guided waves” (2016).
- Elected Fellow of American Society of Nondestructive Testing (2016).
- Best Paper Award, “Passive-only Defect Detection and Imaging in Composites Using Diffuse Fields” (with J. Tippmann), SEM Composites & Multifunctional Materials Technical Division, Annual Conference of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, Costa Mesa, CA (2015).
- Best Paper Award, for paper “Non-contact Ultrasonic Guided Wave Inspection of Rails,” 9th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford University (2013).
- Best Teacher Award, Department of Structural Engineering, UCSD – voted by graduating seniors (2010/11).
- Plenary Speaker, Italian National Congress on Experimental Mechanics, Palermo, Italy (2010).
- San Diego Regional Renewable Energy Technology Acceleration Program Award – through UCSD Von Liebig Center – “Structural Health Monitoring of Turbine Blades Using Advanced Infrared Thermography,” 2011 (with A. Manohar).
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing Fellowship Research Award – “Stress Prediction Through Nonlinear Ultrasonics in Waveguides,” 2010.
- Expert Panelist on Rail Safety Technologies, US Government Accountability Office – Physical Infrastructure for US Congressional Committee on Rail Transportation, 2010.
- Structural Health Monitoring “Person of the Year Award” for “Outstanding Contributions to Structural Health Monitoring,” Editorial Board of International Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, 2007.
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing Fellowship Research Award – “Built-in System for the Structural Health Monitoring of Adhesively-bonded Components in Aerospace Structures,” 2006.
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing Fellowship Research Award – “Load Measurement and Health Monitoring in Cable Stays via Guided Wave Magnetostrictive Ultrasonics,” 2002.
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing Faculty Grant Award – “Development of Undergraduate Course SE163: Nondestructive Evaluation,” 2003 (with V. Karbhari).
- O-1 U.S. Immigration Status for “extraordinary ability in science” (1999-2006).
- Hellman Faculty Fellowship, University of California San Diego, 2000/01 and 2002/03.
- Second place award, International Student Paper Presentation Competition of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Spring Conference, 1997.
- Italian Department of New Technology, Energy and Environment (ENEA) award for academic excellence, Rome, Italy, 1996.
- Fulbright Scholarship, U.S. Institute of International Education,1995-1996.
- COMETT European Union award for research experience in a foreign country, 1994.
- “Giuseppe Manzella” Italian National Foundation award for best academic thesis in experimental solid mechanics, 1993.
Editorial/Review Activities (selected):
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems, 2017-present
- Editor, Experimental Mechanics, Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2014-present
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, 2008-present
- Associate Editor, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, American Society for Nondestructive Testing, 2001-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 2007-present
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Structural Longevity, 2009-2010
- Reviewer for several journals in the areas of civil, aerospace and mechanical engineering
- Proposal Reviewer for US National Science Foundation (Civil and Mechanical Systems Division, Sensors Program, etc..), US National Institute of Health (Ultrasound Imaging Program), US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (Structural Mechanics Program), US Department of State (Science and Technology Center Program – ex-Soviet Union Nuclear Weapons Antiproliferation Initiative), US Army Research Office (ARL Director’s Research Initiative), Italian CARIPLO Foundation
Professional Memberships (selected):
- Member, Expert Panel on Non-Destructive Evaluation Technologies for CFRP Automotive Components and Structures for the Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation of the American Chemistry Council (IACMI/ACC Institute) (2017-present).
- Member, Expert Evaluation Panel on “Future and Emerging Technologies –FET,” Horizon 2020 – the EU Framework Program for Research and Innovation, European Research Council (2016-present).
- Member, Expert Evaluation Panels for National Science Foundation and Air Force Office of Scientific Research (2004-present).
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee of the National University Rail (NURail) Center, led by University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2013-present).
- Member, Railway Maintenance Committee (AR060) of the US National Transportation Research Board (2005-present)
- Member, Expert Panel on Rail Safety Technologies for US Government Accountability Office (GAO) for presentation to US Congressional Committee on Rail Transportation (2010).
- Member, International Scientific Committee, Centro Studi e Ricerche per l’Identificazione dei Materiali e delle Strutture “Michele Capurso,” Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Italy (2004-present)
- International Expert, evaluation of research program in “Multiscale Dynamics Theories for Characterizing Slight Damage in Structures,” Department of Engineering Mechanics, Hohai University, China (2014).
- Member, International Scientific Board on Research on Advanced Materials (Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica sui Materiali Avanzati), CARIPLO FOUNDATION, Milan, Italy (2008-2011)
- Member, International Jury for “Bridges to Italy: Cervelli in Movimento,” Italy-USA Bridges to Italy International Business Association (2011-present)
- UCSD Reference, Academic Cooperation Agreement between the School of Engineering of the University of California San Diego and the School of Engineering of the University of Palermo, Italy (2006-2011, renewed 2011-2016)
- UCSD Reference, Academic Cooperation Agreement between the School of Engineering of the University of California San Diego and the School of Engineering of the University of Trento, Italy (2007-2012)
Conference Committees (selected):
- Chair, Mini-symposium “Waves in Solids,” International Conference of Eurodyn, La Sapienza University, Rome, 2017
- Presiding Officer, Special Session on “New Technologies for Track Condition Assessment and Management,” 95th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board Annual Conference, Washington DC, 2016
- Member, International Advisory Board, 5th International Conference on Smart and Multifunctional Materials, Devices and Structures (CIMTEC), Symposium P, Embodying Intelligence in Structures and Integrated Systems, Perugia, Italy, 2016
- Chair, Session on “Acoustic Imaging and Acoustic Detection,” International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV22), Florence, Italy, 2015
- Program Committee Member, International Workshops on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford University, CA, 2007 to Present
- Program Committee Member, NDE/NDT for Highways and Bridges: Structural Materials Technology (SMT) Conferences, 2006 to 2008
- Program Committee Member, Conference on NDE for Health Monitoring and Diagnostics, SPIE Int’l Symposia, San Diego, CA, 2002 to Present
- Program Committee Member, Smart Structures and NDE Joint Conference: Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace Systems, San Diego, CA, 2006 to Present
- Program Committee Member, Conference on NDE and Health Monitoring of Aerospace Materials and Composites, SPIE Int’l Symposia, San Diego, CA, 2002 to 2005
- Organizing Committee Member, 11th International Symposium on Nondestructive Characterization of Materials, Berlin, Germany, 2002
University Committees (selected):
- Member, UCSD Academic Senate Graduate Council Committee (2017-present)
- Member, UCSD Next -Generation Network Advisory Committee (2012—2016)
- Member, UCSD School of Engineering Dean’s Search Committee (2002 and 2013)
- Member, UCSD Structural Engineering Dept. External Relations Committee (2015-present)
- Chair, UCSD Structural Engineering Dept. Committee on Teaching (2015 – present, Member 2014-2015)
- Member, UCSD Structural Engineering Dept. Graduate Affairs Committee (2007-present)
- Member, UCSD Structural Engineering Dept. Powell Labs Committee (2015 to 2017)
- Chair, UCSD Structural Engineering Dept. Graduate Affairs Committee (2004 to 2007)
- Member, UCSD Hellman Faculty Fellows Selection Committee (2006)
- Member, UCSD Master of Engineering Degree Committee (2005-2006)
- Member, UCSD Aerospace Engineering Program Committee (2002)
- Member, UCSD School of Engineering Ethos Committee (2001)